Monday, November 5, 2007

Mystery Shopping today


Today, I completed a mystery shop. Yep...I am one of those mystery shoppers and you never know when I come into the store! This all started 2 years ago when I heard about local places of businesses needing mystery shoppers. I called the number the radio station gave out and before I knew it, I was talked into doing this and had given my credit card number and $100 to a place called Mystery Shop Link. I immediately felt like I had done the wrong thing by paying to do a job. So, after some phone calls and research, I knew I had been scammed. In fact, the company I work for now said I should never have been asked to pay money.

So, determined to work ,to at least get my money back, I did a few shops...I did grocery stores, department stores, cell phone places, and car dealerships. I did make my money back in about 3 months, but I have kept 2 ongoing jobs. About once a month or so, I do a local grocery store. I figure they have me pegged by now. I can tell by the exceptional attention I get when I walk in the store to the time I leave. Its unspoken on both our parts but its fun when I go in that store when I am NOT mystery shopping and I still get the same great service, by managers no less!

Today, I did an oil change on my car. I have not paid for an oil change in 2 years! I rotate vehicles and take which ever car needs it next. They also have a card I get punched so for every 4 (free anyway) oil changes, I get a 5th one free, which I give to my sons. So, what started out as a scam (that place is no longer in business by the way) has turned out to be a fun occasional thing to do. I come home and input the information on my computer and a check is sent to me in the mail. I know they need people all over the United States...if you are ever interested and have a Saturn dealership in your area, let me know !

10 comments:

Knit-Wit said...

Wow - sounds like a cool job! So do they give you a certain amount of money to spend in each store?
I hate shopping so I can't see myself in this job - but if I could do Wal-mart....

Anonymous said...

Saturn! Ahhh, that's what kind of car Alicia has that just broke down and is costing mega bucks to fix! At this point I would like to scam them...I know, bad attitude.

We get mystery shoppers in our office. We never know who they are, but we are always so nice and kind (ahem) that it never really matters if they are there or not. Sometimes if we do a great job we get rewarded. That's cool!

Unknown said...

Free oil changes are worth it that is for sure.

I get a free oil change too. Anytime I need it. I just need to bring the Butler a nice glass of cool water when he is done :)

Karen said...

I didn't know that still was around these days! How cool!

violetlady said...

I have seen ads for Mystery Shoppers and have always been tempted to respond. Is it fun? Any decent money to be made?

Willow said...

Back in the early 1990s I worked as a secret shopper. I knew the wife of the owner of the company and they needed a shopper in my area. I learned a lot about how franchises can steal from the company. Only once did I get "ID'd" as a shopper, after having been to the store five times in seven days as part of an effort to catch the dishonest franchise owners. I even did one with a younger friend to see how many clerks would card her for buying alcohol. The whole experience was a lot of fun.

Susie said...

Sounds like a fun job. I haven't heard of anything like that here.

Tammy said...

At one time I thought on being a Mystery Shopper...sounds like fun...how the heck to they know you are coming though? What would make them suspect do you think?

I would love to do restaurants...

Barbara said...

Interesting. We have friends who do this for restaurants. At least they get a good meal out of it.

Barbara said...

I forgot to mention. I don't know if I can convert grams to cups but I wil make it again and try. I do have an American measuring cup. Will let you know if I suceed.